Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Birth quilt in progress

Here's the birth quilt pieced together. I am still waiting for 4 more squares before I can go any further (you know who you are!). Since I am a perfectionist and like things nice and symmetrical, I might make 4 additional squares so I can add two full rows, one on top and one beneath.
I made the large square in the middle. Notice the lifesize LOA baby with its head nicely tucked and the placenta high on the fundus. Just in case this baby needs some positive imagery! So who made the other squares? Clockwise, from the upper left:
  • My older sister
  • Jill
  • Kelley
  • My mom
  • Jen
  • Ellen
  • My youngest sister. I had to laugh when I opened up her square. I guess our enthusiasm for Obama does show, eh?
  • Joy aka Housefairy (I zig-zag stitched around your hearts to make sure they wouldn't fray in the wash--hope you don't mind!)
  • Jenne
  • My younger sister (the one with 3 kids, just found out #4 is on the way!). She made the applique to look like my placenta print from Zari's birth.
  • Nutrition Momma
  • Pamela aka Midwife: Sage Femme
I can feel the personalities of all these friends and family members through their quilt squares. I'm excited to finish the quilt. I'll probably hang it on the wall above Zari's bed.

14 comments:

  1. oh looking at that makes me wish I had done an actual quilt square. I'm just no good at that stuff. :) it is soo beautiful - and I think the obama symbol is awesome!

    btw, loved your post about the mw and addressing the criticism about you choosing one this time around. I have so much to say about birth competition on the internet and how narrowminded we've all become - it's creating a chasm of judgment between women. and that's terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela,
    You should definitely write on your own blog about that topic! And don't at all feel "bad" about your square--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so awesome! I love that they all match! That's just uncanny! The Obama one made me laugh. I guess it fits the theme. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, looks like lots of us thought those cool red and gold and black squiggly things looked like placentas. That quilt looks awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for posting a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of my Obama quilt square, you have no idea. And I am glad that you laughed (I was hoping you would know what it was since apparently Mom had no idea).

    I think it was worth adding a color to your color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I truly had NO idea what I was doing and had no sewing machine, but it looks cute--they all do! Super totally "okay" that you stitched it down, good thinking. I love the whole thing, and so glad you posted the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is beautiful. I have not seen anything like this done before.
    I don't "get" what the obama square is about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I told people to use their creativity and imagination and my sister decided to do something a bit more unusual, I guess. But that fits right in with her personality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is one of the most beautiful, thoughful, caring, loving gifts I have ever heard of! I have never seen such a thing before and I LOVE the idea!!You are truly blessed to have such an amazing group of family and friends!

    ~Melissa
    www.nursingbirth.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any progress on the quilt? :) And I just noticed - the "uterus" in the middle is my Thai silk, isn't it? Gorgeous. I never thought to click before and look at it enlarged. I really like how it turned out. And funny too with the placenta fabric swirls...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it's a scrap of your silk left over from making your Rixshaw. I liked it because it reminds me of water, as in amniotic fluid.

    I'm still waiting on 4 more squares before I put the back and padding together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So...did you ever get a chance to finish? Or did I miss a pic somewhere along the line...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't finished it yet...I should probably stop waiting for those last 4 quilt squares and just finish it as is!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...