Monday, August 20, 2012

Time to shut down?

I've been making ring slings for about 8 years now. At first it was just for friends and family, then I got so many requests that I started collecting fabric and opened a website at Second Womb Slings. I keep plenty busy, even though I don't advertise at all.


My infant scale slings have proved quite popular. I'm one of just a few sellers out there, and I think my fabrics kick butt on my competitors'! No cutesy nursery flannels on my site; instead, you'll find a colorful array of hand-dyed cotton batiks.
 

But I am feeling ready to close up shop. I have enough things going on in my life, and making slings is one thing I'd be happy to let go. Plus the only fabric store in town closed this spring, and now I have to drive 40 minutes to buy a spool of thread. The problem is--I have a huge stash of linen, batik, and silk fabrics that I need to get rid of!

So I'm considering my options:
  1. Stay open until my fabrics sell out. Resist the temptation to buy any new fabrics!!!
  2. Close and find another use for my fabric stash. 
  3. Close for the semester and re-open for the Christmas season, staying open until I sell out. 
What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. You could also sell your fabric? I vote close for the semester, though. We all need a break! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mean we all need a break from your slings! lol, I meant we all need a break every once in awhile and you deserve one, too. =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a couple more options I thought of:

    4. Find someone you can pay to sew the slings for you and continue to sell them, which would give you some profit on each sling but without the same time investment.

    5. Raise your prices. Would it be worth it to you to continue to sell a smaller number of slings if you made more money on each one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about #4 but then I wouldn't really make any money and I am so picky I wouldn't want anyone else making them!

      I probably should raise my prices...I think the infant scale sling prices are good as is, but the rings slings are on the low end.

      Delete
  4. I think #3 is a good option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote #3 first and then #1. I really wanted to buy one of your slings when I got pregnant for the 2nd and 3rd time but neither baby decided to stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say close for now, re-open if you feel like it for Christmas, and if not, sell the fabric or find something else to do with it. Awesome curtains? Cute playclothes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about selling the whole business, name, website, patterns and fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make slings and I would love more business! Like you I use batiks and linens because I am a fabric snob, haha. If you want to take a break toy can send some business to me and take it back whenever you want to!
    Batikbabyslings.weebly.com
    Saraandclaire@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still two or three years out from having a baby but I've wanted one if your slings for a while! Is there any way I can sneak through on the potential deadline and get that gorgeous cream linen sling with the Norwegian print panel? I went to the website to try to order, but it looks like you've already taken ordering down for now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely reserve that fabric for you...I might put a pre-order button where people can reserve slings for when I open up after the semester.

      Delete
    2. Yes! That! I'll happily put a deposit down, if you'd like. Should I just check back on the website for a preorder option, or contact via email?

      Delete
  10. I don't know the answer, but I sure will miss recommending your slings. I think I've given out your website to at least two dozen people over the last three years. Most of them are strangers who stop me in the store to ask about my sling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh drat. I just put one of your slings on my registry before I saw this. Baby is coming this semester, so I vote for a holiday pre-order option at the very least!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...