Tuesday, December 08, 2020

French quarantine 2.0, day 18

6,223 steps 

aka my shitty day & eating bugs 

You want to hear all about my day? Fine! I'll get the boring stuff over with first. I sewed five infant scale slings, photographed them, and put them on our website. 


We made lebkuchen during lunch & dinner. I don't even know how many because by time I took pictures, we'd eaten or given away several dozen. 



So now let's get to the fun part, in which I stick my arm into poo. Because that's what you do when it needs to be done. 

So...this morning I noticed that the toilet was plugged. (Disclaimer: it wasn't me. Thank you to whoever did it.) So I unplugged the toilet, only it didn't work. I plunged and flushed and plunged and plunged with no success. 

So I got out my logical reasoning skills: 
#1: Something is really stuck and it's likely not just the poop. 
#2: Hmmm...I notice that the little plastic thing that clips inside the toilet (you know, the thing that cleans/deodorizes the toilet) is missing. 
#3: Oh great, I bet it's that plastic thing that someone knocked into the toilet, and then they went to the bathroom and it got wedged waaaaaay down in the toilet trap and is blocking the poop. 

So I announce my diagnosis to the world. Well, to whoever was home (Eric, Zari, and Dio). "It's probably that plastic thing. We're going to have to fish it out."  

Eric: "I'm not sticking my hand in there." 

Zari & Dio: (eating lunch, no response because obviously this is an adult matter and they don't have to worry about it) 

Meanwhile I really need to pee. So I grab an old towel, take off my sweater, roll up my sleeves, and--without thinking too much about what I'm about to do--plunge my whole arm deep into the toilet. I reach past the poo and yes, there it is! I was right--it was the plastic thing. 

Sometimes you just have to get things done and it's best not to overthink. 

I then washed up as thoroughly as if I were scrubbing in for a surgery. Good to go! 

Okay, but what about eating bugs? 

So tonight we had radicchio risotto. Our arborio rice had a wee pantry moth infestation. (Zari is reading this right now and said, "No, what?! No, no, no.") I could have thrown the rice away. But it was perfectly good rice, aside from some bugs. So I washed the rice several times until there were no more bugs. Problem solved! 

So to be really technical, we didn't eat *any* bugs. But we could have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...