Saturday, November 26, 2022

Breech tour du monde, day 17: Travel to Wellington

143 km and 13,477 steps

We had an easy travel day: 1 hr 45 min drive through mostly straight roads. We arrived in Lower Hutt around noon at the home of the the midwife who who hosted me here 3 years ago. David and I put together a delicious lunch from all of the food we have left over: fresh mangoes; a big salad made with avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes, and soft-boiled eggs; cheese and crackers; and leftover chocolate tart.

David left once his airbnb was open. The forecast said mostly sunny and windy through the evening, so I decided to go out on a long ramble. We're up on some hills overlooking the bay, very high and steep. I took a walking path that cuts nearly straight down and ends in the flat part of town called Petone.

There's an industrial sector with big box stores, then a quaint shopping and dining district along Jackson Street. I went the length of the street looking for "treasures" for the kids. I must have gone in at least 8 op shops. They are everywhere! I found one surprise for one of the kids (sorry, I have to be vague in case they read this).

I also stopped by Ellen Giggenbach's store and talked to the arist. I was hoping to find a patch to add to my apron...but there was not a single touristy souvenir store in the entire area! Ellen gave me a scrap of leftover fabric that I am going to turn into a pocket and add to my apron.

Once back home, several hours and many kilometers later, I cooked a dark chocolate tart for tonight and creme brulee for tomorrow, all from leftover food and ingredients. My hosts made a delicious salad with pears, blue cheese, walnuts, and prosciutto. I feel very spoiled 🙂

Tomorrow is an "off" day so I anticipate reading, going on another long walk (weather permitting), and of course catching up on emails.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...