Friday, March 25, 2011

Currently reading

In addition to these short mentions, I've probably read another 2 dozen books, mostly fiction, from my postpartum reading list.

What Mothers Do Especially When It Looks Like Nothing by Naomi Stadlen. Hands-down the best book a woman could read to prepare for motherhood. It's not at all an advice book; instead, it describes in women's own words the work of being a mother. If you're pregnant or a first-time mother, you NEED to read this book. And if you're a mother of two or more, you're sure to love it.

The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad For Business by Gabrielle Palmer, 3rd ed. Gripping read, couldn't put it down, will make you want to save the world one breastfeeding mother at a time.

The Year My Son and I Were Born: A Story of Down Syndrome, Motherhood, and Self-Discovery by Kathryn Lynard Soper. Okay writing, very powerful story, made me cry.

Free-Range Kids: How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry) by Lenore Skenazy. Loved it. It will make you tell your kids, "go outside to play and don't come back until dark!"

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. Fantastic story of an Olympic runner whose plane crashed over the Pacific, who survived for 47 days on a rubber inflatable raft, and then who spent a few years in a Japanese POW camp in absolutely horrendous conditions.


Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea: The History and Discovery of the World's Richest Shipwreck by Gary Kinder. The fascinating story of the man who developed the technology to locate and recover deep sea shipwrecks. More gripping than many novels I've read.

Stunned: The New Generation of Women Having Babies, Getting Angry, and Creating a Mothers' Movement by Karen Bridson. Interesting, had me nodding along in many places. The writing isn't fantastic. Loved the section about "the where game." Read page 6 to see what she's talking about.

Mother's Milk: Breastfeeding Controversies in American Culture by Bernice L. Hausman. A decent read if you can wade through the heavy academic prose.

A History of the Wife by Marilyn Yalom. Fascinating history of Western ideals of wifehood from the ancient Hebrews to the modern day.

Breasts by Genichiro Yagyu. Quirky illustrated children's book all about breasts.

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine by Sue Monk Kidd.

The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids by Madeline Levine. I agreed with her arguments, but I lost interest about halfway through reading the book

Urgent Message From Mother: Gather the Women, Save the World by Jean Shinoda Bolen. Lost interest partway through the book

9 comments:

  1. I read "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" and was very underwhelmed.

    Then I read the book Sue Monk Kidd wrote with her daughter exploring a lot of the same issues: Traveling with Pomegranates.

    And Pomegranates was all that I'd hoped Dance would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you feel the same way as I do about "What Mothers Do..."

    It helped me immensely when I was having self-doubt. I give it as a gift to moms pregnant with second +

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't read lists like this because they just make me so desperate to read all these books, but its so hard to find time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the way you describe your opinion/experience of each book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to add these to *my* post-partum reading list! They all look so interesting!

    BTW, I finally put the videos in the mail to you yesterday. They should come by Fedex on Monday - let me know if you don't get them and I can track them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading Mother's Milk - it's in my purse at this very moment! I've found it to be great at articulating a lot of the things I've felt somehow but not been quite able to name about breastfeeding advocacy. I've really appreciated seeing her different identities - mother, activist, academic - and how they inform her thoughts and analysis. Nice to find a serious academic inquiry that doesn't feel the need to shelve the other things. Did you identify with her in that way at all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely have to add some of these to my reading (while breast feeding) list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any fiction that stands above the rest and you would recommend? It's about time to start compiling my summer reading list. I need easy fiction to read while the kids play....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ship of Gold is amazing, mostly because it *is* true. I just reread it and then sent it to my dad. It's a fantastic and compelling story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...