Friday, November 23, 2012

Breech wishlist

After attending the Heads Up! Breech Conference, I came up with a wishlist of things I'd like to see happen:

1) An online, searchable database of breech catchers
This would be tricky to figure out with the illegal/alegal status of some midwives, so we'd have to figure out if we'd only include people who are "out of the closet." I'd like something that a person could search for online by country, then state/province/region, and get info on who will catch breech, where they work, and what they're like (are they hands-on or hands-off, have they done upright breeches, do they do 1st or 2nd twins, primips, etc). Kind of like the VBAC ban database.

The first thing to do is come up with a good domain name, something that's an obvious search term. 

2) A website dedicated to information on breech birth. 
There are lots of individual sites out there, but I'd like to have a good, visible website that is THE jumping off place for women seeking information on breech. We'd link to a lot of other sites, but also have our own content (abstracts and full texts of research on breech birth, ECV, and more).

First step: obtain a domain name. Any ideas for this?

3) More research on women's experiences of breech birth. 
I've actually done the research already but haven't ever written it up. Definitely a project I want to get to in the near future. I have hundreds of responses from women with both surprise & known breeches via a a short-answer and essay-response survey. I'm actively looking for co-authors--preferably with experience coding & analyzing qualitative research; please contact me if you're interested.

4) A comprehensive review of literature on breech birth since 2000. 
I was talking with Benna Waites, author of Breech Birth, at the conference (and a few others at the breakfast table, please remind me of who you were!). We discussed the real need for a good review of the literature post-TBT. Benna's book was published in 2001 and I haven't seen anything else like it since since.

1st step: collecting all of the articles.

2nd step: organizing them into a table or spreadsheet. Even having all of the citations, abstracts, and a brief 1- paragraph discussion about methods and applicability would be so helpful.

3rd step: would be to write this up into an article for publication in a medical journal.

This is also something I'd like to be a part of, but it's too much for me to tackle on my own right now. Contact me if you'd like to be part of this project. The first 2 steps could be a collaborative effort, facilitated via shared Google docs.

5) Practical instruction on upright breech birth, written primarily for providers. 
This would need to come from providers with extensive experience doing upright breech births (Betty-Anne Daviss, Dr. Louwen & Dr. Reitter, Jane Evans, etc.). I'm envisioning something with lots of practical how-to information and step-by-step illustrations--more of a textbook chapter for physicians and midwives than a consumer's guide. We need a good written resource for teaching upright breech birth, especially something written for providers working in a hospital setting. (OOH midwives have Anne Frye's textbook to turn to. I wonder what updates she might make to her chapter on breech after attending the conference?)

6) And, of course, more breech catchers!
I'd love for every woman to have access to a skilled breech catcher within a 60-90 minute radius.  I know I'm just dreaming, but wouldn't it be fantastic if at least one hospital in every larger city had a breech team?

What's on your breech wishlist?

3 comments:

  1. I echo this list!!! Especially the database of breech catchers and comp. review accessible to all. I live in nc and work with pregnant women as a doula/yoga teacher. Countless women I know have had elective C.S. because that's the only way their OB or cnm! Heartbreaking!! The culture of our small town is fearful and slow to change most the time, yet I believe if women knew their options more would demand/choose vaginsl birth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I have been working on this website for about a year now. I was at the conference as well. I am hoping it will be a lot of the things on your list, but especially of course #2. I would also love a directory of providers--not just breech catchers but also practitioners who are skilled at turning in their various modalities. I have a lot of the post TBT lit as well. Here is the link. It is very much under construction and the quotes and links and references are not all in place and formatting is still sad. But you can get an idea. Let me know what you think!
    www.mybreechbaby.org

    Lauren
    buttdownbaby.blogspot.com (my as-yet very lame and very young blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I've been reading your blog for a while now, but have never commented before (I'm usually reading on the train to work, too early in the morning to formulate meaningful thoughts). I would love to be involved with the breech research you mentioned in #3. I currently work for a reproductive health organization, and previously, worked for a non-profit dedicated to maternal and child health, so I have some experience with qualitative data analysis in this field.

    If you'd like to talk more, please email me! alexandraDOTdeitzATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...