Tuesday, June 30, 2020

French déconfinement day 51

8,121 steps

I didn't exercise or go on any walks today...still got an okay number of steps in. But at least I went for a swim even if it was leisurely.

I played my violin for a while this morning (practicing with a string quartet) and my left-hand fingertips are sore! I need to re-build the calluses on my violin hand.

For your amusement, a random video of Inga I found on Eric's phone.


Plums are in season and we were all so excited to eat a tarte aux prunes tonight. It's the simplest dessert ever and is one of my favorite things to eat, hands-down.

All you need are plums, pie crust, corn starch, and raw sugar.


Make your favorite pastry crust. When I'm in France, I buy a pure butter pâte feuilletée (puff pastry) as it's only 79 cents. I couldn't even make homemade crust for that price! When I'm in the US, I make pie crust with butter, flour, salt, and a little water.

Sift 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch over the unbaked pie crust. This will mix with the plum juices and create a nice thick sauce.


Cut the plums in half and remove the pits. If they are very large plums, cut the halves again into quarters or slices. Arrange the plums skin-down inside the crust. I used about 1.2 kilos of plums.


Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of raw sugar.

Bake at 200° C / 400° F until the plums are very well cooked and starting to brown on the top. (Mine took 45 minutes on convection...but cooking time varies depending on how big the plums are). The plums should turn soft and release their juices as they bake.


If the plums are very tart, you might need to add a bit more raw sugar after baking, 1 Tablespoon at a time. It should be pleasantly tart!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...