Tuesday, August 10, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 232: Back to work

12,744 steps

We said goodbye to our friends this morning; they were catching the TGV (high speed train) back to Paris and then back to the US in 2 more days.

I got friendly with the cement mixer and did my 4th batch of lime mortar. Or maybe my 3rd? I am losing track. The wall is pretty much done now. It's not pretty but it's structurally sound, and that's all that I care about for this one.

Working with lime mortar is tricky; I'm still trying to get the right consistency because it seems to go straight from too crumbly to overly wet and slumpy. It doesn't stick together very well even though I am following all of the recommended steps. Maybe it's just like that and I have to get used to it.

In the afternoon we put up the next piece of ceiling drywall. I cut it all out and we lifted it up..and realized that I had cut out the mirror image! Ugh, it was so much work because we were going around mulitple bump-outs and strange angles. Finally we cut a new one the right way and got it attached, thanks to help from Zari and Dio.



Tomorrow will be a big drywall day: more on the ceiling and then on the stone wall that I just finished repairing. Woohoo!

Eric and I finished at 5:30 pm, just in time for a quick swim all by ourselves. Well, quick for me and long for Eric. The water was clear and calm so he went treasure hunting. He didn't find much besides the usual mismatched shoes.

Exciting news: we get our new fridge tomorrow! It will have been 12 days since our old one broke.

It's starting to get hot. We've had the windows open all week, but we closed up today and turned on the AC. It will be hot all week, in the upper 80s (30-31 C) and only cooling down to around 74-75 F (24 C) at night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...