Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ron Paul on Licensure

Presidential Candidate Ron Pal discusses health care licensing.

The first part of the video is hard to make out because of the background noise, but the last half is a discussion of midwifery licensing. Some of his main points:
  • licensing is a monopoly; it keeps other people from competing.
  • licensing is better than prohibition, but the ideal is that people make up their own minds.
  • I'm not in favor of government prohibiting people from making private choices. I might have a medical opinion, but politically people should make their own choices.

2 comments:

  1. for posting this. I am wrestling with whether or not I should get licensed in my midwifery. It is legal in MN, but as a CO and a person who feels this is not soemthing that needs governmental regulating, I have a hard time with it. While I am fortunate to live in a state where it is legal, I feel like a jerk for even contemplating not getting licensed. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha, I can totally understand your dilemma of whether or not to become licensed. I remember reading some fascinating books about the history of health care licensure in the US when I was studying for my comprehensive exams...I'll have to see if I can find the titles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...