Friday, February 18, 2011

Make hay while the sun shines, Rixa style

We've had an unusually warm spell the past few days. True to form, I've taken advantage of it to strip the antique washstand & mirror that we're turning into our bathroom vanity. It's a beautiful piece of furniture, but the shellac was worn off in several places.  It would look blotchy if I just put another coat of shellac on top. So I suited up with a dual-canister respirator, heavy-duty rubber gloves that are supposed to be impermeable to any chemical substance, and an old Army surplus shirt (which barely snapped over my belly). I wish I had a picture, because it was quite the sight.

I finished the last of the washstand today. If the baby stays put for a few more days, then I can apply the new finish (a wipe-on polyurethane for moisture protection).

Or the baby could decide to be born right away and I'll just not have a bathroom sink for another month or so. I'd be okay with that too.

My friends joke that I'll be doing a home improvement project while I'm in labor, pausing for the contractions and only stopping for good once I'm starting to push.

Probably not too far from the truth. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been told by more than one person that the best way to make sure you'll go into labor soon is to start a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to my calculations (LOL!) you should be going into labor today!! Happy Laboring! And Happy Birthday to your sweet tiny one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those third trimester nesting projects. Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and gentle birth, mama!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...