Saturday, July 06, 2013

NüRoo Pocket (babywearing shirt)

When Ivy was 4 weeks old, NüRoo founder Daniela Jensen sent me a NüRoo Pocket to test out and review.

I was super excited when I found out that babywearing shirts existed. I'd been searching for something that would hold my baby skin-to-skin and keep me clothed at the same time.


The NüRoo Pocket consists of a stretchy wraparound shirt with 3/4 length sleeves and velcro closures, plus a separate adjustable support belt (optional, used when you're walking or standing). The front of the shirt has a little pocket for the baby's lower legs. It is made of a wicking 90% polyester and 10% spandex and feels similar to UnderArmor fabric. It worked well in cold weather, but the shirt was definitely warm and sweaty once the hot, humid summer weather began. A short sleeve or tank top option would be a great addition to the NüRoo line, I think!

I received a M/L size, and I'd definitely recommend choosing the smaller of two sizes if you're in between. I'm a solid medium (US size 10, sometimes 8) and if I were any smaller, I'd choose the smaller size.


To put the baby in, you put your arms in the sleeves, place the baby in the pocket, and close each side. Then attach the support belt to secure the baby's weight. Like this:

NuRoo Pocket: Demo Video from NuRoo Baby on Vimeo.

I really, really wanted to fall in love with the NüRoo Pocket. I love babywearing and I love doing skin-to-skin with my newborns. I liked it, but I also had some frustrations with the shirt. After a while, the support belt gave me a backache. It pulls all the weight forward onto your lower back. Ivy would also gradually slip down, no matter how far I tightened the belt or how tight I fastened the shirt.

I think the biggest drawback is the timing of when I received the NüRoo Pocket. By 4 weeks postpartum, I was fully back into my normal, active life. The NüRoo Pocket is best for those early, snuggly weeks when you're (ideally) resting and keeping off your feet. I would have used it every day right after Ivy's birth.

Here's a picture of Ivy snuggled into the NüRoo. I took it last week. I'm guessing she's at the upper limit of what the shirt can carry. She's nice and chubby :) Sorry for the picture quality--I had to cajole Zari into snapping photos while we were packing for vacation.


I found that you can also use a sash or scarf of your own in lieu of a support belt--a great way to change the look of the NüRoo!

Retails for $59.99 at Babies R Us
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...