Monday, August 10, 2015

The long road home

On Wednesday morning we hurried to get everyone dressed and all the suitcases in one place so we could do last-minute cleaning. We handed the keys over to the person who would be taking care of our apartment.

On our way out we said goodbye to our downstairs neighbor, who has a son Inga's age. We're going to miss them! Then I headed to the bus stop with 4 kids, 1 purse, 1 messenger bag, 4 backpacks, and my violin. Eric left a few minutes later with a friend who drove all 8 suitcases to the airport.

In our hurry, we forgot to communicate where to meet up in the airport. I was waiting in one area, Eric in another, and we almost missed our trans-Atlantic flight because we didn't find each other! At the last minute I herded all the children to a new area and found Eric.

But of course it had to be more adventuresome than that.

Out of the blue, Ivy puked all over me.

A minute later, she puked all over herself and the floor.

We couldn't do anything to clean up because we were checking in. We made it through security and got onto the airplane. Our flight sat on the tarmac for over an hour, waiting for several passengers arriving on another flight. As soon as we took off, Ivy puked again, all over me.

After the third time, I was prepared. Good thing: she puked at least 10 times on the way home.

Zari got to help the Air Canada Rouge staff serve drinks. Inga also wanted to wear one of their stylish fedoras.

Ivy took several naps.

Besides puking ten times, she was an easy traveler.

I managed to read a book.

Our late start meant we missed our next connecting flight, so we got re-routed to a different city. Our third flight was several hours later than planned. We finally got home at 1:30 am local time (7:30 am French time) and got the kids in bed an hour later.

But the fun didn't stop there. No, that would be too easy.

The next day, I came down with a nasty stomach bug. Thanks Ivy. When the puking ended, the fever started and it wiped me out for the next 36 hours.

Then Inga got it.

Then Eric.

Fun times.

We're all recovered now, but only have two days left until school starts! I thought we had until next week so it was an unpleasant surprise when I checked the school calendar.

Goodbye, France.


  1. Oh my goodness! That is not a very happy welcome back to the states.

  2. Fingers crossed that Dio and Zari will escape bug-free! In my experience, it is never easy to leave France and come back to the U.S....but we've never had such a rough re-entry! Here's hoping you all get some rest and get back into home routines and comforts quickly.

  3. Yikes. It's the fifteenth now so I bet you're back home and getting things lined up for the next year of school. It always crept up on us too--I so know the feeling. Welcome Home !~! I sure enjoyed seeing France with you. Many thanks.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...