Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Back in the States, day 1

Day 1 of I'm not sure what to call it...American mess? 

Anyway I'm so tired I'm delirious so this will be short. Yesterday's transatlantic travels were surprisingly easy and pleasant, besides having to wake up at 4 am. We had 3 flights, as usual. A short one (to Paris), a long one (to Detroit), and a short one (to Indianapolis). 

The flight to Paris was full. But the real fun started on the long flight to Michigan. There were maybe 30 people on the entire airplane, leaving it about 90% empty. I've never seen anything like it, ever. It was, frankly, luxurious. We got our meals in record time. We were able to stretch out on an entire row of seats and sleep. I think it's the first time I've truly slept on an airplane, despite all the years of crossing the Atlantic and sometimes the Pacific. 


And the airport in Detroit was similarly devoid of people. Eerie, even. Customs was a ghost town. And to my surprise, all of the customs & immigration officers were super friendly. Usually they're brusque and grumpy and I always feel like I'm a criminal about to get in trouble for something. 

Ironically, this is probably the safest time to travel in the US because the airports and airplanes are so empty! 

Oh, and when we had to go through security again in Detroit, the security x-rays found a little pocketknife in Eric's backpack! Oops. It was there from when we went on a picnic to Pont de la Cerise, and Eric had totally forgotten about it. I'm surprised that the first security screening in Nice didn't pick it up. 

I've been short-tempered all day and, alas, have been taking it out on the kids. It's definitely out of character and I blame it all on jet lag :) But seriously, how can our house go from immaculate to a disaster zone in just 24 hours?! And the kids were running around shrieking and jumping much of the day (most of it naked or just in their underwear) and the noise and the mess were just too much for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...