Thursday, March 18, 2021

French renovations, Day 87: Stone walls & casts

5,991 steps

I was set to go on a walk this morning, but it was raining steadily when Ivy and I stepped out the door. I abandoned my plans and instead settled down for a good work day. I wrote grant applications all morning.

After lunch, I wanted to continue working on the applications. I was in the zone. But I also knew I needed a break from sitting still. So I suited up and went into the communist apartment. Then the jackhammer and I got cozy. I removed the plaster, lime render, and lime mortar on the stone wall on top of the mezzanine. I'm mostly finished with half of the wall after a few hours of work. I still need to clean some of the joints more.

It was fun work! Not too physically demanding, except for the overhead parts. It actually works better if you go slowly and gently. It's more like a haircut than major demolition. You carefully shear off layers and cracks until the stones are fully exposed.

While I was downstairs getting dusty, Eric brought Ivy to Lenval Hospital to get her cast off! She's not quite done, though. They took off the big cast and switched it out for a smaller one. Her wrist is now straightened out.

Eric made duck breast in balsamic, honey, & shallot sauce again. Yum!

Oh, and we're going into our 3rd lockdown again tomorrow. School is still open for now, so it won't make all that much difference for us. But it will make life miserable for all the small "non-essential" businesses that have to close again, not to mention the bars and restaurants that have been closed since October. We do need to get covid under control here. I'm just frustrated that it hasn't really improved since December despite lots of measures.

(Uploading videos...check back in a little if you don't see them)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...