Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Well, it's been busy lately and I've fallen into bed with good intentions of getting back out and writing in my journal. Good intentions that totally disappeared because I couldn't stay awake!

On Saturday (Oct 19) we had a family work morning painting the carriage house and doing yardwork. Inga had a game in the afternoon, winning 2-1 (she scored one of the goals). My parents arrived and then we went to a really fun fall party: potluck, chili cookoff, bonfires, horseback riding, trunk or treat, and hay rides. A great time.

Sunday was relaxed. I am trying to remember what we actually did and drawing a blank! Oh yeah, now I remember: Eric went with Zari to play Ultimate frisbee, but they didn't have enough people. I brought the other kids to the university athletic facilities. Ivy and Inga swam and Dio went to the weight room, and Zari and Eric joined him there. My parents went to a concert at Wabash, which turned out to be very weird and very loud, so they left during intermission.

Monday was a big day trip with everybody minus Eric (he had to work) plus Zari's boyfriend. We drove up to Indiana Dunes National Park and spent an idyllic day on the lakeshore. It got up to 78 degrees! Amazing for late October on Lake Michigan. I waded in the water and honestly should have gone swimming. Ivy and Inga were in for a while.

The kids had a driftwood lifting contest, beach wrestling matches, and lots of other fun. We also went hiking along some of the dune paths, one of which had over 480 stairs!

We stopped at the Abilene Candy Factory on the way home. I let each child choose 1/4 lb of their candy of choice. We also stopped for dinner on the way home--we originally were planning on getting home in time for dinner but we were all having so much fun that we stayed a lot longer than planned.

Our day ended up being a bit over 12 hours from start to finish. Zari got 5.5 hours of driving time in, some of which was quite stressful with busy freeways and congested roads. But she did it!

Today we stayed home and did lots of crafts and other activities. We canned a massive quantity of applesauce from 3 huge boxes of apples from my parents' trees. A few friends were over for things including silk painting and leather working. My dad helped make frames for the silk painting and got our driveway ready for its annual weed preventer spray. My mom cooked a huge batch of borscht for dinner, which we ate on the front porch. We ended the evening with fire & Smores, then an episode of The Rings of Power.

Will update with pictures later...but I need to get to bed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...