Friday, February 27, 2009

Closet organization

And now for something totally non-serious and non-birth related: my closet. We have one L-shaped walk in closet shared between the two downstairs bedrooms. I forgot to take before pictures, but it was a mess. I blame it on poor closet/shelving organization. Our shoes were heaped up on the floor. All of my husband's pants, sweaters, and t-shirts were piled on top of the waist-high shelf above the lower closet rod, which meant we couldn't hang anything on the upper rods.


I finally decided to remedy the situation this week. I removed an 18" wide shelf/rod unit (which was on the right side where the shelves now are) and moved it to an empty spot at the back of the closet. You'll see winter coats hanging on it now; it's to the left of the hanging shoe rack. Then I put in floor-to-ceiling shelves.


I got the shelf brackets and supports for next to nothing at a clothing store that was going out of business, and the shelves are from Home Depot. I cut them down to size last night once Zari was sleeping and had a great time putting everything away in its proper place. I really enjoy seeing neatly folded, orderly rows of shoes and clothes. And I love being able to see our closet floor for the first time in 6 months!

8 comments:

  1. All right, now you're making the rest of us look bad.

    How much to hire you to come to MY house... LOL!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's not nesting, I don't know what is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, the joys of nesting. I just did the same thing to my formerly abjectly messy closet. So satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job!! i do love working with my hands. i'm planning 3 different projects for when it's warmer this summer, and one of them is updating my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice! my closet is next! when can i expect you? lol.
    couldn't help but notice some copas on the shoe shelf- somebody plays soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, the Copas are my husband's. He is trying his best to turn Zari into a soccer player. So far his efforts have worked very well--she loves to kick the soccer ball around and score goals (in our little Ikea play tent).

    ReplyDelete
  7. come organize my house. please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time I'm in NYC, we'll go crazy with your closets!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...