Sunday, February 22, 2009

My brother rocks

A few weeks ago my little brother (well, at 21 years old and 6 feet tall, he's not really so little) wrote me this quick note from Russia. He's currently serving a mission for our church in Vladivostok, Russia. Some translations of LDS lingo:
sister = female missionary, usually ages 21-23
elder = male missionary, usually ages 19-21
senior missionaries = usually retired couples
There is one sister that loves that you gave birth at home, you breastfeed, and that Zari breastfeeds her stuffed animals. Also, I brought up the whole birth thing with the senior missionaries with us (around the dinner table at a restaurant), and they were all weird about it, but I loved it--they were so shocked, but I was thinking the whole time, "If you want shocked, I could tell you about the placenta, or the various uses of garlic*." Then some other elders were talking about how they will force their wives to give birth at a hospital, because they "don't want to take any chances," but I turned that one down. It's true--people treat birth as something inherently wrong, that it should be medically treated. True, there are other options other than unassisted at home (Joss [my younger sister], in a hospital birthing center). So I was telling them all about it, even though I'm male, will never have birth, and still am single.
He is hoping to go into radiology, so he should have lots of opportunities to talk about birth & breastfeeding when he's in medical school. I love that he occasionally uses Russian-isms when he's writing in English ("will never have birth," for example). My brother is awesome!

* Referring to its use for treating yeast infections--my family just can't get over how weird they think this is, so it's become a family joke

10 comments:

  1. How odd that those with such a strong faith in God and the design system that was created would always believe that science would provide the safest option.

    Good for your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're worried about garlic? Don't tell them some people use yogurt and a turkey baster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that he is "planting the seed" (both for the gospel as a missionary, and for homebirth/natural remedies!) I think it is so sad when men say that they will force their wife to give birth in a hospital. I know those elders are still young and immature (and how NO idea what marriage will actually be like). Maybe they will end up marrying a UC lady! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I just found your blog. Another LDS birth junkie! ;-) I love that your brother is teaching the truth to the truth preachers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great! I can only hope that when my boys are out there in the world, they are spreading the joy of natural birth and breastfeeding. Well, maybe not now at age 11 and 8, but when they are bigger for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why are the female missionaries older than the boys, but called sisters, while the boys are called 'elders'? That seems so backwards to me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, tried the garlic. Never told my family about it, though. Hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok someone please help out with the garlic thin g i have tried the yogurt it didn't work please elaborate. and wish your brother all the best. He definitely will be blessed for the great work he is doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garlic for treating yeast infections? Is that for real? What are the applications? You don't just insert the clove I hope...(Garlic pills maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, garlic cloves inserted vaginally. There are actually some research trials going on right now looking at garlic cloves' efficacy at treating GBS colonization in pregnant women.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...