Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homely stuff

I'm getting a major case of nesting--not the hormonal type, just the mental kind in which I want to get everything done NOW because I know there's not that much time left. So we finally finished painting the dining room. While Eric was out of the country during spring break, I made an executive decision and picked paint colors. I knew if I waited until he got back, we'd never decide on something. I wanted to get the whole room done before he got back, but it took a lot longer than I expected. So late night we put on the final coat of red paint. The top is a warm champagne color with a Ralph Lauren topcoat called "Candlelight," which gives the walls shimmery, iridescent look when the light hits right, kind of like crushed velvet. You can see it a little bit on the first picture, although the camera doesn't pick it up very well.

Spring is finally here, and we've been spending a lot of time outside.
My neighbor gave me the tumbling composter that you see behind Zari. She noticed I was composting and said "Do you want ours? We don't use it any more." Yes please!
Goofing around
Recent thrift store finds: baby sweater for $2 (I couldn't pass up on the giraffe)
A vintage embroidered luncheon set (4 place mats and 4 napkins) that just screams 1960s. Still in the original box and wrapping. It was a bit of a splurge at $20 but I couldn't resist. The picture is a bit washed out, but it's cream linen with robin's egg blue embroidery.

4 comments:

  1. As always, your house is gorgeous...I'm so jealous of the lovely older style. You have great taste in decorations and colors. Zari is simply gorgeous, and what great scores between the neighbor and the thrift store :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the Ralph Lauren topcoat hard to work with?

    The paint colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I figured out that you have to put it on really really really thick, then it worked fine. My first test spot didn't look like anything had changed. I went back and glopped it on the roller (which is a special kind that looks a bit like shag carpet). You put it on in a vertical strip all down the wall, reloading the roller several times. I did a few vertical strips at a time, then went back and gently rolled over everything to even it out, then made X's with the roller all over (as per instructions). It looks really bumpy when it's wet, but it dries smoother. The key is to put a LOT of the topcoat on and have it be uniformly bumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rixa!

    I need your mailing address...I thought I had put it into my address book, but it's not there.

    xo-erin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...