Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Worth Watching: A Doula Story

From Black Public Media, A Doula Story is an hour-long documentary about a doula who helps pregnant black teenagers in Chicago become mothers. Eric watched some of it with me, and he said "it makes me feel like I'm not doing enough important things with my life." From the film's website:
A Doula Story documents one African American woman’s fierce commitment to empower pregnant teenagers with the skills and knowledge they need to become confident, nurturing mothers. Produced by The Kindling Group, a Chicago-based nonprofit organization, this powerful film follows Loretha Weisinger back to the same disadvantaged Chicago neighborhood where she once struggled as a teen mom. Loretha uses patience, compassion and humor to teach “her girls” about everything from the importance of breastfeeding and reading to their babies, to communicating effectively with health care professionals.

8 comments:

  1. I have a doula friend here that volunteers as a doula for women in prison.

    I agree with your husband. It makes me feel like I'm not doing "enough".

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds wonderful! i also agree with your husband. but, it makes me look forward to my empty nest years instead of dreading them...maybe i'll do something like that then! maybe i'll become a midwife like i've always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link. I look forward to viewing it. The description alone of this woman's work is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too will be doing something like this in the community when my littles ar older. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I trained in Chicago and Ms Weisinger's progam was very near our family practice center (clinic) during my residency. She was once at a birth I attended during residency. It was a not one of my residency continuity clients, I was just working a labor and delivery shift, and it was the very first birth I ever saw a doula at. After the baby was born, I said to the young woman that she had the nicest, most useful mother I'd ever seen, and they laughed and explained that she was the mother's doula! Unfortunately, I only found out about her program late in my residency and wasn't able to hook any of my own continuity maternity clients up with her. (They offer free doula services to young women, especially those "at risk") I wish this type of service was available to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this, Rixa. It really shows a side of life in the U.S.A. that few of us living outside can fathom.

    It would be so great if this doula could find a midwife to work with who would leave the cords intact and do more to facilitate bonding. I always want better for women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an amazing woman. She is so much more than a doula for these girls. But, the challenges those young moms face! So daunting, I feel like I have not a care in the world, in comparison. Thank you so much Rixa for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it really puts my own problems into perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...