Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lamaze Media Award for Birth Bloggers

Lamaze International is offering a Media Award for a birth-related blog. Details are included below.

I'm curious to hear from you: which blog post of mine "best exemplifies blog content that supports the Lamaze mission"? (The mission of Lamaze International is to promote, support and protect normal birth through education and advocacy. We envision for the future a world of confident women choosing normal birth. Lamaze International believes that women who are fully informed, confident and supported will want normal birth. Lamaze International believes that caregivers should respect the birth process and not intervene without compelling medical indication.)

I might choose Biodynamism: Body and Soil. I haven't had time to go through my earlier posts, though, and perhaps there's another post that best represents this blog. So which one(s) would you choose?

And of course, you are welcome to nominate me if you feel so inclined!

*****

Media Award for Birth Bloggers

Each year, Lamaze International presents awards to the best and brightest in childbirth education and advocacy at its annual conference. We are thrilled to announce that for the first time, bloggers will be considered for the annual Lamaze Media Award. Increasingly, bloggers are shaping the conversation about birth, highlighting the need for maternity care reform, and reaching childbearing women with critical messages about safe and healthy birth practices. Be recognized for your unique voice and important impact in childbirth education and advocacy.

The winner will receive:

  • Publicity in communications to Lamaze members, the public, and the media
  • One free registration to the 2009 Annual Conference in Walt Disney World, FL, where the award will be presented
  • Up to $500 reimbursement for travel to the 2009 annual conference
Nominations are due by June 15 and should be sent to amyromano@lamaze.org. You may nominate yourself or another blogger.

Please include:

  • The name and URL of the blog
  • The direct link to a post that best exemplifies blog content that supports the Lamaze mission
  • The credentials of the main blogger(s)
  • A summary of the traffic and influence of the blog (e.g., monthly site traffic; links from other influential blogs or the mass media)

15 comments:

  1. Hey! You beat me to it! I was going to post that I'm nominating YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Got jumpy with the "publish" button. Honestly, it's not just one post. It's the conversation, the advocacy, the respect for a range of choices, the research, your dissertation and sharing your personal experiences liberally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember which was the "Biodynamism" post off the top of my head, but my favorite recent post of yours was Dio's birth story. I've recommended it to friends, and I think it about sums up your philosophy, experience, and voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The posts that I find most encouraging, as far as things that make ME want to choose a natural birth, are posts that describe the birthing experience. The "what does labor feel like" post was really incredible in that sense - it made the whole thing seem approachable, and makes it clear that many labors are worlds away from the "OMG, its so painful! You're CRAZY to avoid drugs!" kind of think you see in TV and movies. Its the posts that portray labor in all its glory beauty that seem to most promote natural birth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the above posts referenced, I like these too. http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-hospital-rant.html

    http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2009/03/conversation-with-ultrasound-tech.html

    http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2006/11/some-thoughts-about-four-letter-word.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little bit shameless in your self-promotion, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little bit chicken-shit in your comment, eh, Anonymous?

    I kind of hope you left you comment from a previously used IP address so Rixa can ID you and have a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *really* like the Biodynamism: Body and Soil blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it's totally shameless self-promotion! I mean, who wouldn't want a free trip to Disney World and, more importantly, a great birth conference?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that you say that Rixa, I can see where you're coming from. Who wouldn't want the free trip? On the other hand, I think that Jill--Unnecesarean is one tightly wound lady. Honestly, if you are hard up enough for fun, be my guest and sleuth around for my IP address. I hope it makes your day Jill--Unnecesarean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, Jill--Unnecesarean just loves anonymous trolls and can't get enough of them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all keep an anonymous troll and all of their insults in our pockets?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill, you're hilarious! :-) Kinda makes me want my own little pet troll. I'll think I'll call mine Dr. Amy -- whatcha gonna name yours? :-D

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Break it up guys. No name calling on my site. From either side.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...