Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hollywood meets the fishy pool

...and it isn't pretty

The fishy pool made me laugh, but everything else about this trailer for The Back-up Plan drove me crazy. Seriously, can we *please* get beyond the worn-out stereotype of laboring women turning into crazy, screaming exorcists?

Still, there's hope. Several bloggers have been writing about Kourtney Kardashian's labor and birth. Check out posts at The Unnecesarean and Crunchy Domestic Goddess for starters. For example, when her water broke, she--gasp!--went about her everyday life rather than doubling over in pain and immediately rushing to the hospital, like Julianne Moore in 9 Months.
 
photo from The Unnecesarean

Want to see more juxtapositions of Hollywood-style births with what really happens? Watch Laboring Under an Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing. It's a scream.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the Hollywood version of birth isn't much like the real thing... but according to my husband, I kind of was a crazy, screaming exorcists during childbirth :) ... so I can see where the stereotype comes from ;)

    (had my baby vaginally with no epidural or drugs... I had practiced hypnobabies my entire pregnancy, but, well, didn't really use it on the big day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, but not all laboring women are crazy screaming exorcists. Just the ones who are dumb enough to think birthing at home in a kiddie pool is a good idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rixa, I am with you! This fumes me. I just posted recently on the same thing (http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2010/02/hollywood-does-it-again.html). I would like to think that the average Joe(anne) would be wise enough not to take the Hollywood bait, but it is along the same lines as all those 'horror stories' that women like to tell pregnant mamas; it plants that weed seed that is so hard to uproot completely.

    I wish we, as a society, could get past this type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I would love to see the whole film Laboring Under and Illusion....but it's $40 for a 50 minute film. I know it probably cost a lot for it to be made, especially because the lady who did it is not normally a filmmaker. But, seriously!?!? I cannot afford to buy it, and I couldn't find it on Netflix. Is there some way I could watch the whole film without having to buy it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) ILL (interlibrary loan)

    2) Put in a purchase request at your local library to buy the DVD. They're usually pretty good about doing this, although it might take a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have to lay down the money for laboring under illusion, this is the second time I've seen it mentioned and it looks SO interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it made me tear up. Def a must see. I also saw BOBB and it was an eye opener. This looks a little more friendly and pleasant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...