This recent article, about the increase in births attended by skilled midwives in the Côte d'Ivoire, reminded me that I'd love to sponsor a series about pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding practices around the world.
Here are some of the things I'm interested in:
- Links to news reports, blogs, studies, books, etc about any aspect of childbearing around the world.
- Stories from midwives, doctors, doulas, or childbearing women about what it's like to give birth (or be pregnant, or breastfeed, etc) where you live. This could be anything from your own birth story to descriptions of the overall climate & practices where you live. What are some of the traditions/rituals/beliefs about being pregnant? What does prenatal care entail? How to women in your part of the world approach pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding/mothering? What are your major maternity-care challenges (or success stories)? What kinds of options do women in your area have for birth attendants, or place of birth, or postpartum help? And so on...
- If you've lived in more than one country, comparisons of your pregnancy, birth, and/or breastfeeding experiences.
- When I say "around the world," this of course includes Europe, North America, and other developed countries--not just exotic, faraway locations.
- A lovely graphic/header that for all posts in the series!
Please feel free to re-post this request on your blog, share it on Facebook or Twitter, etc. I'm excited to hear back from you!