Saturday, August 04, 2007

Modern Childbirth: Failure to Progress

Here's a recent book review called "Modern Childbirth: Failure to Progress" by Sarah Blustain. She discusses 3 new books about the culture of childbirth in America. I've read Dr. Wagner's book and am eager to read the other two.

Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
by Jennifer Block. New York: Da Capo Press, 2007, 400 pp., $26.00, hardcover

Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First by Marsden Wagner. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2006, 305 pp., $24.95, hardcover

Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy. New York: Atlantic Monthly Press, 2006, 320 pp., $24.00, hardcover

Reviewed by Sarah Blustain

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Pushed either.
    I find this proliferation of books really exciting. There is a lot of potential for more profound change in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rixa -- I'm excited to check these books out. Thanks for posting the book review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got these three books. I don't think I really like the "Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born." I may read on to see if it gets any better. "Pushed" is very informative -- I couldn't stop reading it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU FOR THESE REVIEWS--I AM ALSO VERY ENCOURAGED FOR THESE BOOKS FOR HIT THE SHELVES AND THE HANDS OF THE WOMEN WHO HAVE HAD ENUFF "WHAT TO EXPECT" BS TO LAST TEN LIFETIMES
    :)
    GONNA GO CHECK OUT TOMORROW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rixa- I just started reading the Tina Cassidy book. I'm really quite turned-off so far. Have you read it? I'm curious what other people's responses to the book have been... :-/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...