Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Birthday!

One year ago today I gave birth to Zari on the floor of my master bathroom. Now she's walking, crawling, eating food, terrorizing the dog, and getting more personality every day. How does that happen?

I feel like I should write something very profound, bordering on sentimental, but I can't think of a way to express the entirety of a year in a few words. So let me leave you with some pictures of Zari on her first birthday, in her Little Red Riding Hood costume I made for her. More pictures to come after her birthday party tonight.

But before you get to see the pictures of the costume, you get a blow-by-blow of its creation. Because of course I can't just go out and BUY a Little Red Riding Hood costume, or even just red fabric and a cape pattern. Nope. That would be too easy. I had to dye pieces of wool and silk, devise a pattern myself, and then sew it with lots of "help" from Zari. The wool is stuff I bought waaaaay back in high school. I made several baby blankets with it and had a long, narrow piece left over. The silk charmeuse scraps are left over from making my wedding dress.

The wool & silk awaiting their destiny, next to a pot of acid dye from Dharma Trading Co.
Dyeing in process.
Fabric is cut out. I wanted to make a big hood--I think they look more dramatic--
but it ended up way too huge. Oh well. It's still cute.
Zari helping me sew.
...And the end result!

19 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Zari. I really love her costume. I think all the work you put into it makes it very special. And now I want a red cloak--but I know it just wouldn't look as cute on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a cool birthday to have! It my faith (Wicca), today is also our new year and one of the most important holidays! Happy Birthday Zari! Happy Samhain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birth Day, Zari!

    and those pictures just kill me. really. I'm dead here on the floor from the sugar overload. sweeeettt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gracious, that cape is the best thing ever. You could never have bought one that cute! Way to go!

    And how cool that her birthday is Halloween? I bet when she gets old enough to trick-or-treat in a few years, she'll think everyone is giving her candy for her birthday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is just gorgeous. I can't believe you still had wool from HS and silk from your wedding. Lucky little Zari! Happy birthday again to you and her both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cape is a hit! Happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's kind of sad when I keep fabric for that long...but I finally found a good use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cape is so cool. Cute pictures of Zari too! Hadley was Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween also, but I'm not as ambitious as you. I just bought the costume from Wal-mart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first thought...I want a red cape with a dramatic hood!

    Second thought...Funny, I'm actually wearing my red trenchcoat.

    Conclusion: No comparison. I don't even hold a candle to Zari. Absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just proves I am genetically predisposed to have beautiful children. Thanks for giving me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great costume!!! She is too cute!

    Happy Birthday Zari!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a special costume, handmade by Mama--it turned out very beautifully, and she is absolutely beautiful. You have a real talent! For costume making and baby making, hehe

    :) Happy Birthday to the lil darling dear and happy Birth-Day to you, Rixa-- a first birthday is an extremely important day for the mother, I always thought. You have been through an incredible year, the first year of your baby's life, and it is a big, big deal. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Zari! How wonderful. Were you ready for it? Was it emotional?

    My son turns 1 on Nov. 10th, and I don't feel prepared. He's decided to wean himself the past couple of months, and I wasn't ready for that either. It hit me out of the blue, and now I'm officially dry. My little infant boy is becoming a toddler, his parent's obstinate personalities in tow and all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Zari! You are one lucky girl to have such a talented Mommy!

    What a treasure for her to have for years to come.

    Love, Chalice

    ReplyDelete
  15. You never do anything half-way, Rixa. She and the cape are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't she's cute?... Oh, so lovely

    Kindly tell her regards from
    nursereview.org

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Begging your pardon but the hood is *not* too big. It's perfect. Very nice. And happy first, Zari. My birthday is also October but 31st is way cool. I luv this blog. Am reading on more.

    ~K~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...