Monday, June 28, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 189: God is a serious and disciplined student

19,048 steps

Dio got his report card in the mail today. His French teacher wrote this: "Dieu est un étudiant sérieux et discipliné. Il est capable de bien mieux! Bon courage!"

We were all cracking up. Now I wonder if his teacher has been thinking "Dio" was named "Dieu" all along! To be fair, Dio does mean "God" in Italian so it was probably a Freudian slip.

Dio is done with school, so he's now on the "Freeze Family Fitness" program, which means he has to exercise every morning. Then, once he does his piano practicing, he is allowed to have friends over, play his 30 minutes of Minecraft, etc.

And wow, we had a productive day in the apartment. I went on an early run because I knew the AC guys were coming in the morning. They got up on our building's roof via our upstairs neighbor's window (she is also redoing her mini splits with them, so she doesn't mind giving them access).

Eric and I installed two sheets of drywall on the upstairs wall. About half of it will be the shower area. Here in France, you use the green drywall, seal it up with a waterproof membrane, and then install your tiles on top of that. Weird. I'm used to working with cement board!

By then it was time to pick up the girls for lunch. When Ivy came home, she wasn't feeling well. She didn't have a fever, but she looked really lethargic. So I had her stay home for the afternoon.

I filled in the holes in the little beam with epoxy wood putty (where we had inserted threaded rods). I'll sand them down once I get more sandpaper.

And then...time to finish the sandblasting! We worked hard all afternoon to get it done. I also did some other miscellaneous things: chiseled out more channels for electricity, installed a temporary 2x4 to mark the edge of the exposed stone wall, and hand sanded some of the big beams.



We'll worry about cleaning all the sandblasting media tomorrow. I was just so pleased to get it done today!

I showered and put our clothes in the wash, then ran errands to the Asian food store and the supermarket for things like toothpaste, shampoo, and contact solution. Right when I got home, Eric was heading out to go spearfishing. Alas, he didn't catch anything tonight!

Zari had her French and math exams today. Tomorrow is history & physics/chemistry. Then she's done! They weren't as bad as she had anticipated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...