Saturday, July 16, 2022

Displaced and depressed

What has happened to my night owl husband? It's 10 pm and he's asleep! I'm going to head to bed soon, too. We're both feeling worn out.

Today was farily low-key. We went to the farmer's market in the morning. Our little town has one on Saturday mornings. We were quite disappointed at the lack of produce! There were practically no stands selling any fruits or vegetables--almost all were crafts or baked goods or flowers. I'm frustrated that our only market is missing the most important things!

Food here in the States is SO much more expensive than back in France. This difference is particularly pronounced post-Covid. Most fruits and vegetables are about 2x the price (and much worse quality). Plus, in our town, the selection is terrible and we can't get any good specialty items.

We stopped by the library on the way home. My goal is to go weekly and keep a steady supply of books for the kids. I have lots of goals for the next several months--we'll see how well I do adhering to them 🙂

I made sourdough today and will have to keep a steady supply going for the next several months. My kids won't eat store-bought bread (and I don't blame them--it's gross).

Eric and I had to go to Wal-Mart to get our oil changed, tires rotated and balanced...and we had culture shock while wandering around the store waiting for our car to be done. Between the obesity, the soulless atmosphere of a big box store, and the local culture (imagine big trucks flying Confederate flags, tattooed men walking around with long baggy shorts and guzzling soda pop by the liter), we felt rather displaced and depressed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...