Thursday, July 14, 2022

We made it home!

(Wednesday, July 13, 2022, written the next day) 

I can't even remember if I wrote last night, but I don't see anything. This was probably the smoothest overseas travel we've ever had. We had 3 flights and every one was on time. Every layover was just long enough but not too long. We made it through immigration with no issues (which we were worried about, because Eric's green card had expired and he's been waiting for his replacement card for months).

The kids played a rousing game of airport soccer using Dolly as the "ball." This was in Madrid.


We had a short glitch while picking up our one-way rental car but that only delayed us by about a half hour. We made it back to our house at 8:30 pm local time (almost 24 hours after waking the family up) and the kids immediately went into high-energy mode, resdiscovering everything, running around the yard, and begging to go to the neighbor's house. We told them: "not today--tonight you need to unpack your clothes, brush your teeth, and go to bed!"

For us parents, the day wasn't done yet--we had zero food in the house. No codiments in the fridge, nothing. So we had to go grocery shopping right away. We told the kids we'd be back and off we went, delirious with fatigue. Luckly grocery stores here are open 24 hours a day, so you can shop as late as you want.

We enlisted the entire family to help us unload the car, then ate a quick dinner (?) of watermelon, fruit, and cold cereal. Then off to bed for everyone. Ironically, it took me really long to fall asleep. I was exhausted but also wired. Then I woke up at 4 am. But I was determined not to let myself get up. I stayed in bed and pretended I was asleep until I fell asleep again and woke up at a more reasonable hour (8 am).

So that was yesterday.



Inga wanted to show off her travel disguise: neck pillow, mask, and eyeshades, covered with a hood. She also added the earphones Dio was wearing.


This is all the luggage we travel with (plus a few more backpacks that were on the kids at the time): 1 big suitcase for my birth simulator, 6 small carry-ons, 6 backpacks, and 1 violin.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...