Tuesday, May 09, 2023

South Africa, day 4: Travel to Johannesburg

That's about as exciting as my day got. Drive to the airport on dirt roads and then paved roads, wait for my flight, fly, wait for my luggage, wait for an Uber, check into my airbnb (in the dark due to loadshedding), and scrounge up a dinner with whatever food scraps I had left in my backpack.

My host advised me not to walk by myself in this area. "Nothing has ever happened with my guests...but I would advise against it." I haven't had time to get a SIM card so I can reserve an Uber to go somewhere but not necessarily to get back home! I'm in a catch-22 because to get a SIM card I'd have to take an Uber and what if I get stranded?

I will be going to a conference the next two days. Tomorrow is just listening to speakers. The next morning I'm a keynote speaker so that will be fun. I only have 20-25 minutes so I have to be sure my presentation is on time.

The power is going to go out again in 40 minutes. Fortunately, the wifi here is on a system that keeps going during the power cuts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...