Thursday, July 03, 2008

How I spend my days in France


We're settled in here in France, Zari has recovered from jet lag, and our students have arrived and started their classes (French in the morning, plus studio arts/art history/French cooking in the afternoon). Here's my daily routine:

7:00 am: wake up

7:30 am: run for 30 minutes through vieux Nice and along the Promenade des Anglais, turning around at the Hotel Negresco.

8:30 am: breakfast

9:00-noon: walk with Zari up to the parks and playground on the top of the hill overlooking Nice.

Noon: lunch

1:00-4:00 pm: naptime for Zari, while I work on my dissertation and check email

4:00-5:00 pm: yoga on MWF (taught by one of our senior staff)

5:00-7:00 pm: swim in the ocean (a 5 minute walk away) or do other fun outings with Zari

7:00 pm: dinner

8 or 9:00 pm: bedtime for Zari

11:00 pm: bedtime for me

Eric joins us occasionally when he has some free time. Right now (8 pm, just after dinner) he's playing soccer in the courtyard with Zari. This a view from the terrace of our apartment, which is in the middle of the school on the 4th floor. All of the buildings in the foreground, including the clock tower, are part of the school. This picture shows about 1/4 of the school; it's huge.






Other news: I saw in our local paper that Angelina Jolie had checked into a maternity hospital in Nice for the duration of her pregnancy (however long that will be--they've been mum about her due date). One of the people we work with, an art history professor at the University of Nice, saw Brad Pitt yesterday. He happened upon him by accident when he was driving near the hospital.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, the architecture is so Mediterranean! I guess that shouldn't be a shock :D
    It's gorgeous. Poor Rixa. You have it tough over there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds WAY too civilized. ;) On the radio today, I heard that Angelina isn't due for another couple of weeks. I also heard that she's in the hospital for some R&R before her due date.

    Glad you're having such a faboo summer. You work awfully hard, so I hope you're getting some quality down time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!
    Loved the pigtails too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you did this! I wanted to know what your days were like...now I will think about you guys over there, very very cool! It looks and sounds so wonderful, take lots of pictures! Does Zari speak some French now? So sweet to imagine her at the little French park in her pigtails!
    hugs from us all back in lame ole' Michigan ; )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh to be in the south of France- looks and sounds absolutely wonderful- have a great rest of your time there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Now I can see why you've made it a priority to go for the last several years. I would, too. I'm glad you are getting this nice break after the craziness of the past few months for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm supremely jealous. It's absolutely beautiful.

    Take some pictures of the ocean, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I just wonder...what exactly does one do in a hospital for WEEKS on end if there is not a medical need to be there? From what I've heard, this admission was planned from months prior. Perhaps Angelina is trying to avoid getting caught going to the hospital to have the baby...but I just can't imagine what she is doing now that she is there? Essentially bedrest I'd assume, which I know that some Dr's just reccommend for a mom expecting twins "just because," but in my clients that were expecting twins, they didn't go on bedrest because they didn't need it! Research shows that all things being equal...bedrest in twin pregnancy results in a shorter gestation--which is NOT a good thing!

    Jenn
    www.knittedinthewomb.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn, good questions. I have no idea about why she's in there. Hanging around in a hospital isn't my cup o' tea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...