Tuesday, March 28, 2023

French apartment renovations, Day 657: Last day, ear troubles

My parents leave tomorrow. Cue lots of crying. They have been enormously helpful with both renovations and keeping the household running while we were renovating. Next year, they'll be back for 3 months with a beautiful apartment to live in!

We took a break from renovating mid-day and went out to eat at a new restaurant. It was good. A bit overpriced because they had run out of their 19 Euro lunch menu (I've never heard of that before!) so all but one of us had to order a la carte.

Despite this being the final day, we still made great progress in the apartment. My dad grouted the tile this morning, then helped me modify an old dresser so it can have water supply & drain lines going through it. Eric rented a big sander and we got the kitchen floor sanded, raised the grain, sanded it down again, and then put on the first coat of finish. 2 coats tomorrow and then it's done!

Since our table saw is currently in Germany awaiting replacement, we went to a local woodworking shop to help us trim and rout the wood that will become the staircase treads. Normally we'd do it ourselves...if we had the tools. He only charged us 40 Euros so that wasn't too bad at all.

There was another huge protest today, which led to some exceptional closures of the middle school for several hours. Students couldn't leave or return during that period, which meant that Inga and Dio, who had come home for lunch, couldn't go back to their classes until 2:30 pm!

Zari had her bac blanc today and thinks she did well. Now that her big presentations and exams are over, she can relax.

Oh, and at lunchtime when I took my earplugs out, I was immediately dizzy and my ears felt totally plugged. I irrigated them with warm water and a "poire" (bulb syringe) but that still didn't solve it. All day I've been dizzy and hard of earing. I did some hydrogen peroxide treatments and more irrigating. Ugh. So annoying. It's a bit better now but I'm guessing there's still more residue causing a blockage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...