Sunday, April 09, 2023

Greece Day 3: In hot water again

I worked on taxes most of the morning, and during my breaks I worked on video editing. Around noon I got a call from one of the midwives who attended the workshop yesterday: "Do you want to visit the thermal springs at Pozar?" Yes, please!

The drive took about 90 minutes. I was surprised to see snow-capped mountains looming closer as we drove further inland. Very impressive! We drove into the foothills and had lunch at a tavern near the hot springs--all amazing food.

We shared 4 appetizers and 2 main dishes among the 3 of us. We had an arugula, pear, & fig salad; smoked cheese covered with toasted almonds and served with raspberry preserves; roasted mushrooms (something that looked like chanterelles?); yellow lentil puree with roasted bell peppers and capers; plus two main dishes with lamb and pork. And dessert, which we weren't expecting! It was similar to tarimasu but also had a layer of crème pâtissière on the bottom layer.

Then the hot springs at Pozar. There are 3 outdoors pools, each of which we spent some time in. The first was an Olympic sized swimming pool. The second pool we went in had some waterfalls going into it and a sandy bottom; that pool was milky white due to the sand being constantly agitated. The third pool (my favorite) was made of rocks with clear water.

It was cool outside and it started sprinkling towards the end. The water was pleasantly warm, just enough to stay comfortable. I could have used a few degrees warmer given how cool the air was. But then, I'm always cold!

It was magical to be outside in the mountain forest, next to an icy cold river, and sit in a hot pool of water, steam rising. For a few hours we just soaked and floated. Some talking but mostly quiet. (The river itself made plenty of noise as it had several waterfalls next to the pools.)

I didn't take any pictures so I pulled one off the internet. This was the 2nd pool we swam in.


Tomorrow will be a quiet workday--mostly taxes--interspersed by some walks along the sea if the weather cooperates. I was so thankful to be able to see something beautiful during my time here in Greece!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...