Thursday, April 09, 2009

Audre Lorde's "Forever with Child"

Now That I Am Forever with Child
Audre Lorde (1934-1992)

How the days went
while you were blooming within me
I remember____each upon each
the swelling changed planes of my body

and how you first fluttered____then jumped
and I thought it was my heart.

How the days wound down
and the turning of winter
I recall____you
growing heavy
against the wind.
I thought____now her hands
are formed____her hair
has started to curl
now her teeth are done
now she sneezes.

Then the seed opened.
I bore you one morning
just before spring
my head rang like a fiery piston
my legs were towers between which
a new world was passing.

Since then
I can only distinguish
one thread within running hours
you____flowing through selves
toward You.

Read at my Blessingway

4 comments:

  1. hmm... it's awfully quiet around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't get yourself too excited now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I have another 8-10(ish) weeks. I'm living vicariously through you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...