Monday, November 23, 2020

French quarantine 2.0, day 3

15,459 steps

I really feel like I'm back in France again. Why? 

#1: Because I walked all over the place. I walked to the grocery store and back in the morning, hauling home a heavy cart. In the afternoon, I walked to the beach and read a book in the sun (sweater off, pants rolled up. Gotta get that Vitamin D!). And Eric and I did our evening walk around the port. Normally I'd also go running. 


#2: The food. Lunch for me was beef carpaccio: paper-thin slices of raw beef with lemon-basil vinaigrette and Grana Padano cheese (similar to Parmesan). Zari begged to have a slice. We have to ration out the carpaccio because everyone loves it so much. She said, "I don't know why raw beef is so good! But it is!" I also had a slide of store-bought sourdough bread, pan-toasted in butter with slices of a hard raw milk cheese on top. And a clementine. And some dark chocolate. 

Dinner was spanakopita (made by me) and store-bought pain au chocolat. The first day of school ended up great. However, Dio had a rough start. He didn't want to go and was begging and crying and clinging to me as I handed him off to the teacher who was going to show him around. It was his first day at middle school. I felt SO heartless but I knew he would be okay; he just doesn't like change. 

And he was fine by the end of the day. He and a friend did homework together right after school, then joined us at the park. The kids get so much exercise here. It's rare to have a day when we don't go to one of the parks or to the beach. They run around playing tag and hide-and-seek and jump rope. 

Inga joined a game of pickup soccer. It was a group of boys, so she was hesitant to approach them, even though she knew some of them from school. They asked her if she was any good. She said, "Je suis très forte." 

Oh, and here is a completely embarrassing and unflattering picture of Eric and me collapsed on the couch during lunch. He laid down on top of me to cuddle and I just KNEW we'd pass out because we're not quite over jet lag. Sneaky Zari took a picture.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...