Monday, December 07, 2020

French quarantine 2.0, day 17

18,717 steps 

I haven't sat still today until now! I went running in the morning (brrr...a chilly 5 C when I started out...and of course my Minnesotan self is laughing hilariously that I just called that cold). Then I walked to Lidl and hauled 100 Euros of groceries home. Workout #2! 

During lunch the kids helped me mix the ingredients for lebkuchen, a traditional German spice cookie. The dough is sitting in the fridge ready to roll out. This recipe involves 2 lbs of honey, 1 lb of butter, and loads of spices. Mmmm.... 

Once the kids were back in school, I went into the communist apartment and did some floor sleuthing. There was a spot where the old terra cotta tiles were gone and there was loose earth/dirt. We've been digging away the layers of earth to see what's underneath and how deep it goes. Finally about 5" down I hit some old wooden beams. I suspect they are the cross-beams that sit on top of the large beams that span the length of the apartment. 

The kids had piano lessons with my mom right after school. We had a staggered dinner (more Thai larb salad because I had the ingredients on hand) with whoever wasn't having a lesson. We got out the huge stepladder and hung up our one strand of Christmas lights (left by a previous renter). 

I have lots of fabric left over from sewing masks, so I decided to turn the rest into infant scale slings. I cut, hemmed, ironed, folded, and tacked all five into place. They're ready to finish tomorrow. I'm going to offer these as Breech Without Borders donation perks for people in Europe & the UK. 

In the background you can see my Bernina. She dates back to the 1940s or 50s. I was super excited when I found her a few years back in a sewing machine repair shop. Unlike most sewing machines, this one has a knee pedal rather than a foot pedal. 


While I was sewing, I heard Zari ask Dio, "Can you eat fermented spider eyes?"

"Yeah, I think so. Give them a try."

(They were playing Minecraft.)

Oh, and Eric got his final grades submitted! The semester is officially DONE! 

So that was my day! I'm ready to snuggle up with a hot water bottle and read some brain candy now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...