Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Watching, listening, and reading

Today I am watching a montage about one woman's journey to a VBAC. I'm enjoying it of course--it's made to inspire and motivate. But the academic part of me is also intrigued by this video in particular, and birth videos/montages in general. There's a definite formula to this type of media--the narration about a woman's journey to birth, intersersed with photos and sometimes videos in rough chronological order, the background music that becomes more upbeat as it gets closer to the moment of birth.

My Journey to a VBAC from Lindsey Meehleis on Vimeo.

I'm listening to an interview with Jill of The Unnecesarean about Informed Consent and Informed Refusal. Well, technically I'm downloading it right now.

And I'm reading NieNie, a blog I first learned about thanks to Jane of Seagull Fountain. (Her dad is cool, too!) She, like me, is LDS and a mother of several young children. She survived a near-fatal plane crash a year ago and spent several months in a coma. She was burned terribly and is learning to live with a new body and a new face (and her kids, too, had to become re-acquainted with their mother). I just found out today that she is also a home birth mama--how cool is that? Anyway, she'll be on Oprah tomorrow and I'd really like to watch it. I don't have cable or antennas, so I'll have to see if I can watch it online.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I remember reading about NieNie bak when the plane crash happened. I never followed up to hear how it turned out. So amazing. Thanks for giving the links to her update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. Narrative is very interesting--you see very similar themes in discussions of the food system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exited to see if I can watch NieNie and Mr. Nielson online as well! Thanks for the reminder, I was just thinking about them today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that video on facebook! lol that's how i ended up seeing and sharing it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think NieNie & family has moved back to Utah, to be closer to her family, but previous to the crash, the family lived in the Phoenix area (Mesa, I think), so the local paper has had a number of really thorough, heart-wrenching, well-written stories over the last couple of years, chronicling Stephanie's life and progress. Hers is a really powerful story of life and family. However, I didn't realize she was a homebirther!! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right Rixa, they are all very similar. Makes me think....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rixa,

    I have a friend that I'm trying to help. She is due in December with her third child. She's had 2 prior c-sections and is coming to find out that she does not want a third. I have some questions about what resources I should help her with and what she should look for in hospital policy. My email is stylishmuse@gmail.com. Thanks a ton and thank you for being such an advocate and example.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEVER watch Oprah, but I recorded that episode and have watched it several times. I'm so inspired by her and her story, and I think I'm going to reference it in my lesson in RS today. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...