Thursday, August 20, 2020

American ??? day 9

15,939 steps 

I spent most of the day working in the yard and garden, pulling weeds and burning dead fall in our fire pit. Then in the late afternoon we helped our new neighbors move in (after having just helped our old neighbors move out yesterday). The Freeze Family Moving Company strikes again! It was definitely a two-shower day, and I'm pleasantly tired out. The new family actually has 5 kids ages 1-13. I think we'll have some instant friends for our kids. 

Ivy helped me finish and install a dragon flag that Zari made a few years ago for a school project. As Ivy was watching me use the drill, spray paint, miter saw, and angle grinder, she admired how I knew how to do so many things. I wish I could remember the words she used. She sounds like a little adult, sometimes, with her quaint expressions and low voice. 

We also had a conversation about having babies while she was helping me in the yard. I think it came up because our old neighbors have 7 kids and she was saying how she couldn't imagine having so many children "because she gave birth so many times!" She told me she was a bit nervous about having babies because it can hurt really bad. 

So I talked about how it's not all about pain. Parts of it hurt and parts of it feel really good, and in the end it's so worth it. I told her it was like exercising really hard or going on a very long hike. "Do parts of it hurt? Are parts of it really hard? Sure! But would you say, 'I'm never going on a hike in my life because I'm scared it's going to hurt.'?" 

Ivy said, "No! And plus hikes don't really hurt." 

"Sure, but sometimes hikes are really hard. You get tired and your leg muscles are sore. But it's so amazing to do the hike." 

 I spent the evening doing more video editing for our breech courses. Specifically, I was blurring out the faces on a video of a surprise complete breech that rotated towards sacrum posterior. (Which, if you know breech, is quite unusual.) The poor midwife didn't know the baby was breech until a few seconds before the legs popped out, when the water broke and what she thought was a head fully crowning was actually a butt fully rumping. Apparently the midwife had lots of F-bombs going through her head. You'd never guess from watching the video 🙂


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...