Wednesday, May 25, 2022

French apartment renovations, Day 518: Old portholes

6,426 steps

Ivy helped me with some quiet tasks in Le Catamaran this morning. We started stripping the Renaissance desk but decided it was too stinky without respirators. (We're using denatured alcohol as it appears to be shellac.) So instead we hung up some decorations and prepared the baseboards for sanding and repainting.

A while back I bought an enormously heavy set of bronze porthole windows. They are salvaged off an old boat. We lugged them upstairs for a good scrubbing with a paste made of vinegar, flour, and salt. I cleaned them up but didn't go overboard by taking off all of the patina.





For the one that is solid bronze, I'm thinking of having a mirror cut to size with the edges polished and then gluing the mirror onto it. This will be the mirror in the WC.

For the one with glass, I'm going to hang it on one of the walls with a colorful picture of underwater sea life behind it, as if you're looking out through a porthole into the ocean.

I worked on the false front for the washing machine and got one of the two holes drilled with the forstner bit.

Ivy and I had time after soccer/grocery shopping to go swimming. It was lovely.

It is officially the weekend for the kids as of today--holidays tomorrow and Friday. I need to rope them into helping me in the Communist apartment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...