Monday, July 11, 2022

French apartment renovations, Day 565: Penultimate day

I'm out of FB jail (kind of). I can post here but I still can't interact in groups for 3 more weeks. Still no resolution on getting blocked for things that are specifically allowed.

The house is clean except for a few small things tomorrow. We did it! The kids were very helpful today. Dio lucked out because he was with friends all day. I feel like we've hardly seen him since school ended. 

I picked up my visa today after a super long wait in line. Ironically, I was one of the last to arrive, and there were only 2 or 3 people after me. If I'd just shown up an hour later, I could have waltzed in and picked it up in 2 minutes. 

Eric's application was finally approved after multiple resubmissions and rejections. He has his "récépissé," which will allow him back into France while he waits for his card to be printed. They're just the regular 1-year visitor visas. Our plan is to apply for a special talent visa when we're back in the States. If approved, this would be a 3-year visa with work authorization. 


We had a goodbye picnic at the beach this evening with several families. We all swam a lot, even Dio (who at first begged to go home...but once he was in the water, he stayed in). Zari went for a long swim with her snorkel equipment and fins. She was so far that we were wondering where she was. We finally spotted her way over near the rocks. 

We're still trying to sort our our AC situation. I called one of the installers who came to give us an estimate on moving the comopressors and installing the correct systems. He seemed to think that the length of copper lines would exceed manufacturer's limits. I wasn't sure, so I volunteered to measure all of the refrigerated lines (embedded in the walls) in all apartments and draw up a schematic. Sure enough, we are under the 25 meter maximum length. This is good news--we don't have to rip out all of the copper lines embedded in the walls and put new ones in.



We also made contact with another installer who had come over 6 weeks ago and who is friends with Eric. He still hadn't sent an estimate! He said he could get working on it, so we might have more than one option. 

I had a Zoom meeting at  9 pm and came out almost an hour later to find Ivy and Inga goofing around in the shower. Normally their bedtime is 8:30 pm! Well, I guess it's summer and we're leaving overseas soon so bedtimes aren't as critical. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...