Saturday, June 18, 2022

French apartment renovations, Day 542: Walking through a heat wave

24,486 steps

We're in a "canicule" (heat wave). Fortunately our area of the country has a micro-climate that keeps things a bit more reasonable. Our high today was 31° C (88° F). Still, that's hot when there's humidity and most places don't have AC. I admit--I turned it on in the living room today and in the bedrooms this evening. It's not cooling off much tonight.

But today was a great day despite the heat. I started off early and took a run before it got too hot. And, my favorite part: a post-run dip in the sea! There's nothing better.

Most everyone was still asleep when I got back. Eric was already gone to the James Baldwin conference. It's the last day and he is still gone (after 10 pm now). I'm sure he'll come home exhausted with all sorts of stories to unload.

I set to work packing up winter clothes. I had the kids go through all of their clothes and make 3 piles: give away, keep in France, bring back to the US. That brought us to lunch time.

I walked Dio to a birthday party, about 30 minutes away. We loaded up with water and he brought his scooter, since part of the party involved going to the skatepark. On the way home, I stopped by my favorite consignment store to see if there was anything new furniture for the Communist apartment.

Inga and Ivy got invited to go to a special archeology activity up at the chateau. They made pottery, drilled holes in seashells, and got themselves wet several times to cool off.



Meanwhile Zari and I took a walk back to that consignment store to look for birthday gifts for her friend. We found a marble dolphin and a wooden giraffe (her friends loves animal sculptures).

I had a "surprise basket" to pick up from a bakery. This one was disappointing; I definitely didn't feel it was worth the advertised value.

And then my evening finished off with a Breech Without Borders planning meeting.

I don't know how I got that many steps in today! It sounds busy but it felt pretty laid-back overall, despite the packing and walking and errand-running.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...