Monday, January 25, 2021

French renovations, Day 35: Fun with power tools!

6,629 steps

After a productive morning of work (the "sitting in front of a computer" kind), Eric and I got out the power tools. This little wall was a HUGE job but we got it done.

The wall was around 12" (30 cm) thick in most places and composed of multiple layers: 1" of plaster, around 3" of lime mortar (we're guessing?), another layer of plaster, then a super thick layer of something very hard, like concrete.

First, I scored a line with a diamond-blade multitool. Then Eric got out the SDS+ rotary hammer. I helped as much as I could bagging debris, but much of the time I stood by and offered "quality control" since I didn't want to have chunks of plaster or concrete falling on my head.
 


We cleaned up until we ran out of bags.

Tomorrow we will tear down the ceiling in the hallway (it's about 3/4 of the way up) and the little dividing wall in the middle of the hallway.

What else? Piano lessons after school, then dinner, then some family fun watching "Blown Away," a reality show about glassblowing. The format is so canned and predictable, but it's really fun to watch the artists work.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear your plans for this place! What a project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...