Friday, April 17, 2020

French quarantine day 29

7,383 steps

What's this I see on the news? Americans gathering in large groups to protest social distancing measures? Sometimes I feel mean-spirited and think, "Serves them right if they all get sick and die." The problem is--they might get sick and cause other people to die.

If there is ever a time to create a social safety net in the States, this is it. I'm talking about things like universal health care, paid sick leave, or hazard pay for "essential" workers...It's unimaginable here in France that you could lose your health care if you become unemployed. No one has to worry about not being able to pay if they need to go to the hospital.

We ran into several friends on our daily walk and we all agreed that quarantine here in Nice is not so bad. We are able exercise outside every day. The police enforcing quarantine have been very nice and respectful. We can get groceries when we need them, rather than only being allowed to go once per week on a pre-assigned day.

I can't think of much to report from today, and I don't have any pictures, either. I'm really itching for a project or craft, but I don't have supplies.

If anyone here in Nice has fabric (100% cotton quilting fabric is best), I would be happy to make them a mask!

You can drop the fabric off in our mailbox to avoid person-to-person contact. Then I could have my kids build a parachute to send the finished masks down from our apartment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...