Friday, February 04, 2022

French apartment renovations, Day 408 & 409: Please don't die

So yesterday was way too exciting and not in a good way. While Eric was eating lunch, he started choking on a piece of meat. I had to do the Heimlich maneuver on him several times. During all of this I yelled at Dio to call 112 (equivalent of 911 here in France). Fortunately he was able to get it out quickly and I ended the phone call before I'd even reached someone.

But wow, the adrenaline afterwards was crazy!

And we've been super busy getting ready for SKIING! We leave tomorrow morning for a week of snow and sore legs and so much fun. We have bags of ski supplies littering the living room. Our goal is to leave no later than 10 am because we have a 5-hour drive ahead of us.

Zari had a huge history project on l'Alhambra: a written essay, a Powerpoint, and an oral presentation. She's been working on it all week, with lots of help from me, and finally turned everything in today.

We have 1/3 of the new subfloor laid. It's a dry leveling system, designed to level uneven floors and provide both thermal and acoustic insulation. You pour a row of lightweight granules, then you embed metal rails until they're level. Then you fill the whole floor with granules and use another metal rail to level them all smooth. Last, you place the interlocking fiber cement panels on the floor. Using a special glue and screws, the panels get screwed together and create a level subfloor. Pretty neat system.



I realized the video should say "Day 409" but it's already done.

I also did tons of breech-related work and I am so tired. I'm going to not worry about the rest of the packing until tomorrow morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...