Monday, August 22, 2022

Quite the fright

12,189 steps

Ivy almost got hit by a car on the way to school. I was running right behind her on the sidewalk when a car pulled out of a driveway right in front of us. I yelled (okay, more like shrieked/screamed) and the woman slammed on her brakes. I then proceeded to yell at the woman and tell her to be more careful, and she had the audacity to be defensive and tell me, "I WAS paying attention." I yelled back at her that she needed to stop *behind* the sidewalk and look before pulling onto the street.

Eric had several aggressive run-ins with cars today while he was on his bike, where they deliberately rev their engines and cut him off or turn in front of him.

It's not even been 2 weeks and already I feel like I want to say very mean and profane things about this town and the people who live in it. And about Americans in general. And about cars and car culture.

I don't know if Ivy has ever heard me yell like that in her entire life. At first she was worried that I was mad at her!

We had lunch with a former student (he took a writing class from me first, and then several creative writing classes with Eric). It was great to catch up several years later. Eric keeps trying to convince him to become a writer--he certainly has the talent for it.

I'm getting ready to teach in Reading, PA for Breech Without Borders. It's going to be a fun, exhausting several days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...