Monday, August 16, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 238: Taping & mudding and lots of other progress

5,111 steps

Lots of work done today! While the kids were eating breakfast, we watched Taka Yaka videos to refresh our drywall mudding & taping techniques. (He is hilarious to boot.) Based on his advice, I had bought several kinds of special drywall tape by Strait-Flex: Original, Tuff Tape, and Crack Tape. We have everything needed to do straight seams, inside & outside corners, & transitions where drywall meets plaster or cement.

I was very impressed with these products. So much better than paper tape or fiberglass mesh! I am sold 🙂 And with the different consistency of the drywall mud, I followed Taka Yaka's techniques exactly with excellent results.

I also plastered in several more outlet boxes.

Eric sank screws that were still sticking out, installed acoustic drywall in the WC ceiling, and got the toilet together and temporarily in place (we need to do some repairs on our main waste stack, and we will need to not use our own apartment toilet for 24 hours...hence the new temporary toilet). Zari painted on the first coat of waterproof membrane in the shower area. Dio helped both of us as needed, holding drywall, fetching tools, refilling my pan with mud.



I was a dirty, stinky, sweaty mess by 5 pm. I rinsed off my arms and hands, cooked dinner, and then went for a quick swim before we ate. Eric was also out swimming and still found a few items, despite the waves and cloudy water.

Dinner was yellow curry with chicken and whatever vegetables I had in the fridge (onions, zucchini, bell peppers, & potatoes). I made enough for another dinner; it's now in the freezer for a busy day.

Piano lessons took up our evening. Phew! Busy day. Also tempestuous between the kids arguing a lot in the morning, Zari crying and going into her room after the arguing, Ivy crying dramatically when Inga went to her friend's house without her, and Inga crying dramatically after because she got into trouble when she left without Ivy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...