Tuesday, March 09, 2021

French renovations Day 78: Bookshelves and ledger boards

5,122 steps

I had one of those nights where, despite being exhausted from little sleep the night before, I couldn't get to sleep and then I kept waking up. Mostly thinking about plumbing and electricity and the like.

We took a trip to pickup that cool bookcase. It was only 20 km, but ended up taking close to an hour to get there with traffic. And then...we walked into the room...and the bookcase was ENORMOUS! Almost twice the size that I was anticipating: as tall as my chin and as wide as my arms can reach.

And then it started pouring. Since there was no way the bookcase would fit inside our car, our only option was to tie it on top. Plus we weren't sure where in our apartment we'd put the darn thing!

So for the moment we came back empty-handed. The sellers were super nice and said to get back in touch when/if we want it.

We had planned on stopping by Leroy Merlin on the way home, but I got hit by a wave of exhaustion. We decided to go home and work on what we could. I know we're just delaying an inevitable trip, but I could hardly think straight.

I had a mid-afternoon lunch and then we worked for a few hours, tacking the ledger boards into place and drilling out the holes where we will install threaded bolts set in epoxy. We were ready to apply the epoxy into the holes...but OF COURSE our caulk gun was under-powered. Of course. We have to buy a special super-duper strong caulk gun made especially for the epoxy cartridges. But no worries...Amazon Prime to the rescue! ETA tomorrow.

And in case you were wondering if Neonatal Resuscitation skills ever come in handy for other aspects of life...yes, indeed! Applying PPV to the drilled-out holes was an excellent method for cleaning them out, much better than the vacuum. Actually I should give all the credit to Inga and Ivy: their bubble blowing yesterday gave me the idea. 😂
 


Dinner was Thai coconut chicken soup and dark chocolate mint cookies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...