Monday, March 22, 2021

French renovations, Day 91: Cement mixers and strangers with unmarked delivery vans

11,298 steps

I woke up very early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So once the alarm went off at 7, I was ready for a nap. Eric kindly got the kids ready while I snoozed for an hour. Back to normal.

Eric wrote down in the basement "cave" while I worked on breech projects all morning. I kept working while Eric got lunch on for Inga and Ivy and then brought them to the château for a quick soccer practice.
 


Then it was time for some very messy work: cutting channels (saignees) in the walls with the wall chaser (rainureuse). We were cutting these just a few inches above the floor, and it was really hard to keep it straight. So yeah, it wasn't our best-looking work but it will all be plastered over anyway.

And then...time for an adventure! I had a meeting arranged to look at a used cement mixer. He was just 10 minutes away by foot, so no need to bring the car. So I went to the arranged location and a man in an unmarked delivery van drives up. He had offered to help me bring the mixer to our apartment but I didn't realize he was going to *drive* me there! So I hopped in and drove away with a stranger in a white delivery van. It sounds like the beginning of a kidnapping film.

But it was great. He was super nice and gave me his business card. Besides working for one of the local highschools as a "fonctionnaire," he is a sort of Jack-of-all-trades and also will do deliveries of larger items. You know, things like lumber and sheetrock.

He drove right up in front of our house and showed me how ot use the mixer. We plugged it in so I could verify it worked properly. Eric was very skeptical but I'd rather have the right tool than having to hand-mix every batch of lime mortar we use for 20 minutes each batch. And I can resell it afterward for around the same price.

It was time for school pickup and I had hardly got out all day. I set off on a walk and Inga joined me on her way home from school. All down our street there was a terrible odor, like rotting carcasses that have been in the sun for several days. Everyone walking by was grimacing and covering their noses.

Inga and I walked out onto the jetty and had a nice little adventure. Then as soon as I dropped Inga back home for piano lessons, Ivy asked to go play with her friends at the château. So I went up with her and stayed for about an hour, talking with other school parents.

More breech work this evening. What will we work on tomorrow? We might do some framing and some ceiling plaster removal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...