Monday, March 15, 2021

French renovations, Day 84: On the mezzanine!

9,961 steps

I woke up to a dream so stressful that I was having a panic attack in the dream. It involved my mom having just died the day before, me trying to DIY a new way of body composting involving psilocybin and liquid nitrogen and dry ice, packing up our house in the US to go to France and realizing that we were nowhere near ready and that we'd miss our flight. Oh yeah, and how was I going to deal with my mom's body in time, given that our flight was supposed to leave in an hour?!?

It all made perfect sense during my dream, enough that it took me several minutes after waking up to realize that body composting with psilocybin was not actually a thing.

I started the morning off with a run to La Réserve and back. I'm not a fast runner but at least I am doing it.

Then almost 5 hours of intensive video editing for our breech grant application. Phew. I stopped at 1:45 pm for lunch.

I threw together something that was supposed to be Boeuf Bourguignon, except I didn't have enough red wine and I didn't have any mushrooms and I was out of thyme...so instead I used red wine, white wine, herbes de Provence, bay leaves, carrots, onions, and triple tomato concentrate. After I braised the beef, it all went in the Instant Pot for dinner.

Then Eric and I went downstairs to figure things out. We put up old boards on top of the mezzanine so we could walk on it. It's fun to see the room from a new perspective! Our heads clear the center beam--barely--but it will work.

We decided to move the shower & sink to the other size of the mezzanine. The toilet is already in the downstairs hallway. We're going to plumb for a toilet in the upstairs hallway as well, but not hook one up. This is a "just in case" decision in case, down the road, we want to connect the front and back apartments. In that case, we'd need to take out the two toilets in the downstairs hallway and turn it back into a hallway.
 


We put the last joist in and then I screwed in the rest of the joist hangers. That was it for the afternoon since the kids had piano lessons and I needed to buy a few groceries to get us through tomorrow morning. We need to go to Lidl for a big shopping trip tomorrow.

Ivy and Inga helped me make a tiramisu for tomorrow's dinner. They can do it mostly all by themselves now.

After we put them to bed, we brought Dio and Zari downstairs for a quick look. They got to climb up on the mezzanine. After a minute or so, they were done! We stayed behind and figured out the new bathroom configuration.

This is my plan for the water supply lines in the back apartment. There is a method to my madness! I'm sure we'll have sume adjustments as we go, but this will at least give us a shopping list at the plumbing supply store.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...