Monday, July 05, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 196: Chimneys and buns

10,160 steps

Eric is feeling sick: sore throat, nausea. He had to rest most of the day and felt bad that he couldn't help more downstairs. He did come a few times and help me with tasks such as mixing up a big bucket of MAP. I kept telling him, "It's okay! Don't feel bad; you need to take it easy."

I worked all day on the communist apartment, mainly on getting the chimney area ready for drywall. I drilled holes, jackhammered them out, and filled them with MAP. I also had to square/level/smooth several areas that were sticking out too much or not at right angles. I need the area to be mainly straight in all directions. There is a little give with the MAP mortar that adheres the drywall, but you still have to start with something reasonably straight.

Here is a list of all of the power tools I used today: 
  • jackhammer 
  • drill 
  • wall chaser (rainureuse) 
  • shop vac (by itself and connected to the wall chaser) 
  • multitool 
  • compound miter saw

I had some MAP left over, so I filled in the grooves on the wood subfloor. We're going to install the waterpoofing membrane for the shower area fairly soon, and this will help it be more of a smooth, uniform surface.



Zari helped me for a littel bit, holding up that piece of wood in the middle of the chimney while I drilled the holes into the rock wall. Then I embedded it with 8" threaded rods and chemical anchor. We're going to make a "floor" on the upper shelves so you don't fall through :) Remember, you'll be able to walk on this whole upper area since it will have a catamaran net.

Dio and Zari helped Eric clear out about half of the attic storage room; the AC/heat guys needed access. We decided to move our skis & cartop carrier down to the basement.

We had a family swim late in the afternoon after school. Only one more day and then everyone is on vacation!


Zari tried a bun for the first time. She has so much hair it's almost as big as her head! Eric made the obligatory dad joke about liking our buns.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...