Wednesday, July 14, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 205: A lousy day

15,699 steps

Well, this evening ended differently than I had anticipated. Right as we were getting kids ready for bed, Inga said, "My head is really itchy!" This has happened before and it was just an itchy head. But this time...no so lucky. Her head was crawling with lice. Fortunately I travel with my awesome lice comb, one of the few things I bring back and forth with me between the US and France.

I spent the next 90 minutes combing through her hair. She had 5 or 6 adult lice and probably close to 1,000 tiny little ones. They were almost the same size as nits and appeared newly hatched. Poor girl.

I changed the water (the bowl for rinsing the comb after every pass) probably a dozen times. We only saw one or two nits with the very last combing. I called it good and sent her to bed very late.

The picture is of bowl # 8. Give or take a bowl. I lost count after a while.


We'll do another pass tomorrow.

The rest of the family passed a quick inspection but I'll look more closely tomorrow when the light is better. I did a quick comb through my own hair and found a few things that *might* have been nits. No lice, though. Sadly I'm the only real lice expert so no one can inspect my head!

I told Zari, "Please please please never get lice." Her hair is well past mid-thigh and is insanely thick. I do NOT want to work on her head!

I told the kids several English expressions we have that relate to lice:
"being nit-picky"
"looking at something with a fine-toothed comb"
"it was a lousy experience"

So other news from today: we were hoping to go to Pont de la Cerise for a Bastille Day picnic & wild swim. However, Dio was feeling unwell so we stayed home. He rested most of the day. Since it's a Wednesday, we didn't do any renovations until after lunch (our downstairs neighbors don't work on Wednesdays and like us to not make noise).

I didn't take any videos today. We put drywall up on the other little box. We added some wood framing around the window near the front door and got the wall ready for insulated drywall. We had to embed 5 electrical cables in plaster to hold them in place and trim various bits. We cut the first big piece of insulated drywall and then Eric had to go to a meeting. So that was our day. Tomorrow we'll likely get several pieces of drywall up.

Quick late afternoon swim. Zari and Dio never made it in the water, but at least they got outside and boosted their Vitamin D. I played with Ivy and Inga for a while--we had some fun waves.

Dinner was Tuscan butter gnocchi. So good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...