Saturday, July 10, 2021

French apartment renovations, Day 201: I made a big mess

5,893 steps

My mess was on purpose, though :) More renovating. Usually we don't do much on the weekends since our neighbors don't want any noise in the mornings and then we're often busy with soccer. But I had some time. Eric mixed me up a big batch of MAP and I straightened the back of the upper bookcase area. It's amazing how uneven the walls are! But with my trusty laser level, I got things more or less straight and flat.

In the afternoon I attacked several areas with the wall chaser (rainureuse). It generates enormous clouds of dust, even when hooked up to the vacuum. I had to cut away this thing in the bookcase area that we thought was a plank of wood. But no, it was a solid plank of slate!

Then I applied the laser level to another wall, one that we're going to adhere drywall to. And OF COURSE the wall itself was tilted. So I solved that problem by shaving off a large section of the wall. It's very thin, maybe 10 cm at the thickest points, and quite fragile. So I cut lots of shallow paralell lines with the rainureuse, then gently chiseled them out one by one. At the end, the entire wall was level!

What else happened today?

Dio and Zari went to a water park and loved it. They came back several hours later tired and sunburned and happy.

Ivy asked to make cinnamon rolls, so we made the extra super fancy slow ones: basically a rich buttery brioche dough and then cream cheese frosting on top. That took a large part of the day.



Right after Dio got home, he left for his friend's birthday party and didn't get back until well after dinner.

Eric went spearfishing in the afternoon while I was making a mess. I brought Ivy and Inga to the beach and he met us after fishing. No fish, sadly. But when he was swimming with the kids, he found two shoes, two dive masks, a credit card, a fishing weight, and a cloth mask. I had to go home after just 20 minutes to make dinner, get changed, and get ready for a breech live session.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...